How to Immigrate to Canada

How to Immigrate to Canada

There are more than 60 different Canadian immigration programs, so you have dozens of options for entering Canada.

However, the five most common ways of entering Canada are through Express Entry, Family Class Sponsorship, LMIA Work Visas, PNP, and the Quebec Investor Program.

In this post, we’ll look at each of those in detail:

Express Entry

Designed to fast-track the entry of skilled or qualified workers into Canada, Express Entry is increasingly becoming a popular immigration track.

Under the Express Entry track, applicants can have their processed in as little as six months, and leave the process with Permanent Residency (PR).

The Express Entry process starts with the candidates filling out an online profile. They just need to include details about their language ability, previous work experience, education, and several other categories.

The federal government will then assess the candidates and rank them based on their suitability, and then invite the highest-ranking candidates to apply for PR. Generally, those with the highest profile scores under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) get invitations.

To increase your chances of getting a high CRS, you should be between the ages of 20 and 29, have a high level of education, and demonstrate strong proficiency in English or French.

If you’re invited to apply for PR, you have a total of 60 days to submit your electronic application.

For many people, this can be a difficult process, especially in terms of gathering educational and other documentation. However, immigration consultants are available to help and increase your chances of receiving a PR card.

Family Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and PR card holders can also sponsor their spouses and children (under the age of 22) to come and settle in Canada.

To qualify, the sponsor must prove that they’re able to financially support their family and/or family-member. The sponsor must also be clear of bankruptcy or criminal charges.

Finally, you must also enter into an agreement with your spouse and the federal government that you will support your spouse for a specific period of time.

LMIA Work Visa

Under the LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) program, applicants will first secure a job offer from Canada, and then immigrate to the country.

However, the LMIA application process is managed by the employer, not the candidate. When assessing the application, the federal government will look at whether the salary is at-par with the average. It will also look at whether there’s a labour shortage for that position and several other factors that are both within and beyond the candidate’s control.

It’s a thorough process, but the end result is a PR card for the candidate.

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

Like Express Entry, PNP is quickly catching on as a popular immigration route. In fact, some Canadian provinces -- especially Alberta and British Columbia -- are fast-tracking applicants through the PNP. It’s a popular way for provinces to fill labour shortfalls.

However, like LMIA, you will usually require a job offer from a Canadian company in order to qualify for the PNP. Moreover, each province is approaching PNP differently, so working with immigration specialists (such as Toronto immigration consultants for Ontario), you should be able to get enough support to find and apply for the right program.

Quebec Investor Program

Until June 2014, the Canadian federal government offered a program for high net-worth individuals to secure PR by owning or managing business in Canada.

Although the federal program is no longer available, a similar program is still open in Quebec through the Quebec Investor Program.

Overall, there are many ways of entering Canada. The key is finding the immigration program that you’re qualified for and, in turn, submitting a strong application.

No comments yet. Be the first to add a comment!